Saturday, August 8, 2009

IN HONOR OF A SPIRITUAL GIANT





On July 3oth, 2009 E. Taylor Petersen peacefully passed away. We all were able to prepare for his passing so we did get to say goodbye and give him air hugs, as Taylor (Harris) called them. However, it still was not easy to say our final goodbye's at his memorial service and gravesite dedication service.


Grandpa Petersen or Pa Ta, as the grandchildren and great grandchildren called him, led an accomplished life. He was a convert to the church and dedicated his life to living the gospel of Jesus Christ. He served and retired in the United States Air Force, then he went on to becomming an institute director, retiring again and then serving an LDS mission with his wife Norma in Hawaii. He was a great father to five beatiful children, and a loving grandfather to 14 grandchildren and 16 great grand children.



Brett was the first grandson and has many wonderful memories with his pa ta. Brett speaks of a time when he was in high school, he took a trip with pa ta to Helper. Pa ta told stories of when he worked in the coal mine, and about his dad getting black lung from working in the coal mine. There was coal in the hills that was on fire underground, the heat would escape thru cracks in the ground and the deer would bed on the cracks to stay warm in the winter. He also had great memories, of stories of Ivan Triphones the scarey man of Helper Utah. Brett also recalls the great support pa ta and grandma gave him on his mission and as he served in Iraq. Brett is proud to have served in the military during wartime, as his grandfather Harris, grandpa Petersen and dad have.



Last Thanksgiving when we visited with grandma and grandpa Petersen, I had a lovely conversation with grandpa. One I will remember always. He mentioned to me that he had lived in Helper, which I then answered that my mom grew up in Helper as well. I had never been there so I had no idea how big or small the town was. He mentioned that Helper was very small and asked the names of my grandparents. I explained that my grandfather had passed away when my mom was very young due to a heart attack in the mines and my grandma was killed when I was very young by a drunk driver. I gave him their names and he immediately knew who they were. I never knew anything about my mothers family and he was able to tell me a little bit about them. This was so neat for me to hear and I left that day feeling closer to grandpa because he was able to tell me things, I never knew.

We will all miss our Pa ta so much, however it's such a comfort knowing he is with his mom and dad and little sister, in heaven. He's no longer in pain and depending on his family to care for him. The gospel is so wonderful because it gives us this strength to keep going, to continue living our lives to follow the great example of the legacy that our beloved Pa ta left behind.

We love you Pa Ta and we will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment